Student Housing Accommodations

The Academic Achievement and Access Center (AAAC), Student Access Services and Student Housing work closely to provide housing accommodations for students with disabilities.  In order to get accommodations in Student Housing, please submit documentation of disability with specific recommendations from the qualified professional.  Students with physical disabilities that require accessible housing, please contact the  AAAC as soon as possible so that appropriate accommodations can be arranged. 

Disability documentation can submitted in person, via fax, mail, or email to the Academic Achievement and Access Center.

Service Animals Policy 

Service animals do live in Student Housing with their master and are frequently seen around campus.  People on campus may not be aware that your animal is working for you, so please be sure to let others know the dog is not a pet. Please see the Policy on Animals in Buildings. If you have questions, please call the AAAC at 785-864-4064.

Emotional Support Animals


An Emotional Support Animal (ESA) is an animal that provides personal comfort to an individual with a disability residing in University of Kansas Housing. It is an accommodation for KU Housing only and not permitted in other areas of the University. Please see the Policy on Animals in Buildings.


Students with a documented disability living in KU Housing who request an emotional support animal as an accommodation will need to register with the Academic Achievement and Access Center, located in 22 Strong Hall. To register, click here to complete the online application and upload qualifying disability documentation. After you have completed your application, an Access Specialist will contact you to assist with your concerns, answer your questions, or request additional documentation. When the ESA is approved, the AAAC will send the official notification to KU Housing, and you will be copied on this email. All official communication is done via KU email.

If you have any questions about this process, or if you need help in uploading your documentation, please do not hesitate to give us a call (785-864-4064) or email us at

Access Online

New to Access Online? Need the quick-start on requesting accommodations? View our step-by-step guide (.pdf) or visit our video tutorials page!


Coaching Advertisement

Follow the AAAC

Facebook  Twitter   Instagram

KU Today
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times