Section 504 of the 1973 Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, and the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2009 continue to provide direction and guidance to the university as it reaches new levels of access in all areas. The university and student have rights and responsibilities.

Student Rights & Responsibilities

Every qualified student with a disability has the right to:

·   Equal access to educational and co-curricular programs, services, activities, and facilities available through KU.

·   Reasonable and effective accommodations, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids as determined on a case-by-case basis.

·   Confidentiality regarding disability information including the right to choose to whom the disclosure of disability is made except as required by law.

·   Receive information in reasonably accessible formats (must meet request deadlines to ensure availability).


Every student with a disability has the responsibility to:

·   Meet KU’s qualifications including essential technical, academic, and institutional standards.

·   Identify as an individual with a disability and request accommodations through the University Academic Support Centers (UASC) in a timely manner.

·   Provide documentation from an appropriate professional source verifying the nature of the disability, functional limitations, and the rationale for specific accommodations being recommended.

·    Follow specific procedures for obtaining reasonable and appropriate accommodations, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids as outlined.


Institutional Rights & Responsibilities

·   The University of Kansas (KU) through the University Academic Support Centers (UASC) has the right and responsibility to:

·   Maintain the university’s academic standards.

·   Require qualifying disability documentation in order to verify eligibility for disability accommodations, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids.

·   Discuss students’ eligibility with diagnosing professionals if signed consent has been given.

·   Select from among equally effective/appropriate accommodations, adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids in consultation with the student.

·   Deny requests for accommodations, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids when disability documentation does not identify a specific disability, fails to verify the need for the requested services, or is not provided in a timely manner.

·   Deny requests for accommodations, adjustment, and/or auxiliary aids that are inappropriate or unreasonable based on disability documentation including any that:

  • Pose a direct threat to the health and safety of others;
  • Constitute a substantial change or alteration of an essential course element/program standard, or
  • Pose undue financial or administrative burden on the university.



The University Academic Support Centers (UASC) coordinates accommodations for students university-wide. It is an individual’s choice whether to self-identify, submit documentation, and make the decision about using accommodations. The UASC provides academic accommodations such as in-class accommodations, auxiliary aids, and services (e.g., alternative texts or sign language interpreters). Para transit is available to students who have temporary or permanent mobility impairments and who are unable to use the standard buses.

·   The information found on this website is to be used as a guide to accommodations at KU.

·   The services listed are the ones commonly provided.

·   Accommodations are tailored to a student’s need on a case-by-case, course-by-course basis.

·   It is the student’s responsibility to self-identify, provide appropriate documentation, and request services in a timely manner.

How do you qualify for accommodations?
To receive disability accommodations, students need to provide the University Academic Support Center (UASC) with disability documentation that supports the requested accommodations. Not all IEP’s and 504 Plans contain the necessary information AAAC needs to establish eligibility. Please see our Documentation Guidelines for more information.

The University of Kansas (KU) has specific procedures in place for students requesting academic accommodations. Parents can learn more about these procedures by visiting the ​Accommodation process.

Who can you talk to regarding accommodations?
The University Academic Suppot Centers (UASC) facilitates appropriate academic accommodations and auxiliary aids and services that are necessary to afford an individual with a disability an equal opportunity to participate in the University’s programs and activities. Specifically, students must provide written documentation from a qualified professional on the nature and impact of the disability. The student and the UASC will then engage in an interactive process to determine what, if any, accommodations are appropriate based on the student’s disability and individual needs.

Please see our ​page on Implementing Academic Accommodations to find out more about the responsibilities of each the student, the UASC, and the Faculty/Instructor in this process.


How do you receive accommodations?
The legal differences between IDEA in high school and postsecondary education are different. This chart describes these differences in more detail: Comparison of IDEA, Section 504 & ADA (pdf)
To develop a better understanding of the transition to postsecondary education for students with disabilities, the US Department of Education has an excellent document that provides a wealth of information. Please visit their site, US Department of Education, for more information on this transition. 

Access Online

Use Access Online. See our quick-start guide to request accommodations. View our step-by-step guide 


How to submit SAC Exam Request

Watch this video and learn how to submit an exam request for SAC Testing Center.


Follow the UASC

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram

KU Today
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times