Academic Accommodations

The Student Access Center (SAC) coordinates accommodations for students at KU. It is an individual's choice whether to self-identify, submit documentation, and make the decision about using accommodations. Accommodations are authorized after a student submits a complete application with documentation and meets with an Access Specialist in the SAC. Para-transit is available to students with temporary or permanent mobility impairments who are unable to use the standard buses.

How do you qualify for accommodations?

To be eligible for accommodations, provide typed documentation from a qualified professional on the nature and impact of the disability. Information should include test results/report, functional effects of the disability and/or medication, and recommendations. Once received, it will be reviewed and assigned to the appropriate Access Specialist. The Access Specialist will contact the student via the email address they include on their application. KU email address is preferable for current students. During the intake, appropriate accommodations will be discussed based on the specific situation.

How do you receive accommodations?

At the intake, the student and the SAC Access Specialist will agree on the eligible accommodations and they will be authorized during that meeting. The student will be given an orientation to Access Online, the system used for managing accommodations and sending notifications to instructors. An accommodation request must be completed for each class for which accommodations are needed. Notices are generated to instructors from the system, and at the point the student should follow up directly with each instructor to discuss their accommodations and how they will be implemented in the classroom and/or during exams.

It is important to note that students have the right to select which accommodations to use and when. It is for this reason that students must log into Access Online at the beginning of each semester to request accommodations. Accommodation notices are not sent automatically on behalf of students. Students need to initiate this process each semester. They can either log on and do this independently or reach out to their Access Specialist if they need assistance. For accommodations that are time intensive (e.g., sign language interpreting, books in alternate format), students should request services as soon as they register for classes. Otherwise, it is typically recommended that students submit requests within the first week or so of classes.

How may a student dispute a decision or file a complaint regarding a discrimination?

The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the university’s programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director of the Office of Civil Rights and Title IX,, Dole Human Development Center Suite 1082, 785-864-6414, TDD 785-864-4064

If a student is not satisfied with any decision by the university involving academic adjustments or effective communication, or otherwise believes she or he has been discriminated against on the basis of disability, the student may contact the designated coordinator and/or file a complaint of discrimination in accordance with the university’s anti-discrimination grievance procedure entitled KU Discrimination Complaint Resolution Process. The student may contact the Director of the University Academic Support Centers prior to or after a complaint of discrimination is filed to

attempt to resolve the complaint informally, but any informal or voluntary resolution attempts after a complaint is filed will not delay the investigation of the complaint pursuant to the grievance procedure set forth in the KU Discrimination Complaint Resolution Process.