An individual with a disability is defined as:
- Anyone with a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities
- Anyone with a record of such an impairment
- Anyone who is regarded as having such an impairment
The 2008 ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) Amendments Act emphasizes that the definition of "disability" should be interpreted broadly.
Who is responsible for access?
- Individual faculty and staff have a legal responsibility to make sure that each course or activity, when viewed in its entirety is accessible, including technology.
- The Department of Education, Office of Civil Rights (OCR) is one civil rights agency responsible for enforcing the ADA in post-secondary institutions and other educational programs.
- The ADA mandate students' rights to accommodations and their right to file complaints and/or lawsuits against KU if accommodations are not provided.
Please visit the Office of Civil Rights and Title IX for more information.